Monday, December 13, 2010

Digital Double Exposures

I don't shoot film very often, but I've always wanted to try double exposures. I just recently read about a photographer who used long exposures and photo slideshows to create digital double exposures. Phillip Maisel, who was inspired by the influx of photos on facebook, decided to shoot his computer screen while scrolling through different friends' photo albums. If you're curious, you can see the project titled "A More Open Place" here. I knew there were photoshop tricks like "layering" that can mimic a film double exposure, but I never thought to actually use a digital camera. Given how easy this sounded, I had to try it. Here are a few random photos I decided to turn into digital double exposures.





I loved the eerie vibe of one of the photos and had to use it more than once, but it was a little trickier than I expected. Maybe it's common sense, but I didn't think to use photos that had similar lighting until I did a few randomly paired pictures and found them severely overexposed. Either way, it was a fun exercise. I love websites like DPS and Photojojo that introduce me to these things.

No comments: