Saturday, July 18, 2009

MUD RUN!

Today was the mud run and it was surprisingly fun. In the days leading up to it, my excitement level was increasing so when I woke up this morning, I wasn't nervous at all. The course was slightly different than the original one posted but I still enjoyed it. The mud run was just an all around laid back festival where most people were focused on having fun rather than finishing at a certain speed. I also knew 2 other teams participating, making it more fun. The only problem was the vast amounts of people created long lines at some of the obstacles, so you would be running one minute and then completely halted at the next. This only happened a few times and eventually, we learned how to sidestep people and keep up a good pace. My team and I wound up getting separated, my team captain and I staying ahead and the other two a little bit further behind. You have to cross the finish line as a team so we had to wait a few minutes but I'm glad to say for a team of first timers doing it for fun, we finished under an hour. I think we're all looking forward to doing it again next year, but we're definitely going to coordinate our team outfits :)

I wish I had a picture of my sneakers at the end of it-- I did snap one on my sisters camera, but I don't have that with me at the moment. Those shoes went through hell (into mud to rocks back to mud into sand then to nasty swampy water finishing off in dirt) but there wasn't any reason to keep them.







When else do we as adults get a chance to play in the mud (mud-wrestling as my mother disapprovingly called it when she found out)? It was pretty liberating and I definitely recommend it to anyone that enjoys running and is looking for a creative way to have fun.

No comments: