Monday, July 5, 2010

Long Weekend Part II

My dad loves to grill. Of all the things in our house, the barbeque (seen below) was probably the best investment. We barbeque about twice a month (sometimes more) so of course the 4th of July is no exception. This weekend, like most families in America, we had a BBQ with close friends.

My dad flipping burgers

Shrimp skewers

In the spirit of trying new things, my sister bought this croquet set. We never did get around to trying it.

I baked a red, white and blueberry cake.


Okay, so that is box cake mix, and the frosting is from a can, but I really suck at baking cakes from scratch. I think taste overrules being able to say "I made it from scratch!" so for now, I'm sticking to Betty Crocker. I saw a couple of variations of the strawberry/blueberry 4th of July cake decorating technique, but you wouldn't believe how fast and easy this was. I made a simple 2 layer white cake, filled and covered with vanilla frosting, and adorned with strawberry halves and blueberries. If ever decorating with strawberries, beware of their drippiness! I had to clean up/re-frost a few small sections before serving, but it certainly added a bit of festivity to the dessert table.

Good food and company aside, I'd have to say the highlight of the night was my 4 year old niece shrieking out of excitement when the fireworks started; we're lucky to have a decent view in our backyard of the fireworks from surrounding cities on the 4th of July. Not as good a view as last year, but oh well :)

No comments: