Tuesday, June 23, 2009

For Your Enjoyment

When I was in high school, I was one of those kids that was pretty on top of it when it came to music. I listened to bands like the Rolling Stones, the Pixies and the Flaming Lips, not to say I didn't (and don't) enjoy a pop song here and there (to me, any genre of music that requires hard work and creativity is credible--which is partially why I never made it as a music snob-- but I was never really a "poptart"). Pardon the long run-on sentence...

Like I was saying, I think I've always had somewhat of a unique taste in music but needless to say, in the past couple of years I've turned into a grandma. Not just because I primarily listen to oldies--I stand firm on my opinion that music wouldn't be where it is today without influence from everything from Motown to Elvis to Disco to Classic Rock n' Roll and so on. But mostly for the fact that I'm strangely unfamiliar with the bands of today, both mainstream and underground. Best Friend is always forcing me to listen to different independent bands, which are usually good but for some reason it is so hard for me to get out of my oldies funk. So last night, he sent me this:





God Help The Girl is Stuart Murdoch's (of Belle & Sebastian) latest project and as Best Friend describes it "Mary Tyler Moore meets The Pretenders." This is the first thing that's been recommended to me that I've had on repeat since first listen. You can go here to listen to more. I don't know if it's the overwhelming nostalgia, sweet lyrics or upbeat tempo but I can't help but smile as I listen to it.

No comments: